Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I just tried this for the first time-

So don't get mad at me if it's a crummy referral, but honestly, it looks good- and to me, was worth the $3 gamble.

Restaurant.com is a site that matches diners to local restaurants- for a good deal. They offer $25 gift certificates for $10. But here's the REAL deal- right now, their gift certificates are 70% off. So if I'm understanding this correctly, that's a $25 gift certificate for $3. The coupon code is SUPER.

There might be crazy restrictions I'm missing, and when I actually get a night out with my husband to use one of our $3 $25 gift certificates, I'll fill you in on the catch if there is one.

But for now- this seems like a good bet for people on a tight budget.

If you have any experience with Restaurant.com, please leave it in the comments section. I might buy some more!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I've bought them! I got them for the Jury Room in Quincy when they were 80% off a couple months ago (unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to use them yet!). I got two others for restaurants in CT for relatives.

Lisa said...

I bought $150 worth of coupons for my step-dad for $30 a few months ago. I am pretty sure they worked or I would have heard about it from my mother. They were able to get three $50 certificates to their three favorite restaurants.

Marie said...

This is a good place to go if you are into dining. However, in my area (UT) they don't have very good pickings. Also, I just went to the site and the certificates were $3 for a $10 gift certificate and $10 for a $25 gift certificate. I didn't see any indication of there being any additional sale (but maybe there would have been had I gone all the way through to checkout).

Also, on the site under the prices, there are restrictions listed like, "valid with purchase of $50 or more" for the use of a $25 gift certificate.

Katy Shamitz said...

Marie- You get the 70% at checkout with the code "SUPER."

Emily C. said...

We use these all the time and think they're great! We got them for 80% off, so $2 for the $25 certificates, and we bought a ton for the restaurants in our area. Each restaurant handles these differently--I've gone to dinner with another couple and they have let us each use a coupon, and others only let you use 1 per table. They also automatically add an 18% tip to your bill, so watch for that and don't leave your tip twice!

Smoochiefrog said...

Thanks for the deal! I just ordered 2 and even posted about it on my site. I'm excited to use them!

HotMommy said...

We bought some restaurant certificates with a deal that ran about six months ago. The certificates still have not arrived and we've not had ANY help from their customer service the multiple times we've contacted them.

I know lots of people have great deals with the certificates, but we're not going to be using this site again.

noah said...

Most of the restaurants in my hometown require a minimum $35 purchase and they add 18% gratuity onto the amount before the discount. So not really a $25 gift card for $10, more like a coupon, but I just picked some up because $3 for $25, even with the above gotchas, is still a good deal.

Anonymous said...

I am in Utah and use them all the time. Sometimes you have to do a minimum purchase, or it is only good for lunch or dinner or they automatically add 18% gratuity. Totally doable though as I buy ones for places we eat a lot, like Yapona, and we would spend $35 there anyway etc.

The Stiffs said...

The coupon code didn't work for me. Any ideas?

Katy Shamitz said...

Hm- It says it's good through 1/31/09... odd. Anyone else have an issue?

Julie said...

Hotmommy, I have never used these before, but in checking the website, it said you actually print them out from our computer. Could that be why you didn't receive them?

Keli said...

I've done this before, too, and it totally worked! The only catch is the minimum purchase at the restaurant, and you are supposed to tip on the the total bill.

Duh.

Someone may have already stated all that, but honestly, I don't read all the comments, so if I'm being redundant, I'm sorry. And if I'm being redundant, I'm sorry.

:)

DB said...

It works! I bought the $25 coupon for my fave restaurant. I printed it out immediately. (just like,3 hours ago.) I picked up my best friend and we ordered $36 dollars worth of pizza and diet coke. So total was 36+6 (tip) less $25= $17 for two VERY large pizzas and a pitcher of pop. If you divide that by the two of us....my cost was only $8.50. And, I had a very fun dinner with my best friend=priceless! Oh...and we both have pizza leftovers to last us DAYS!!!! Thank you VERY much!!! I found your blog through Amy. I am a long time lurker :) I am also unemployed....so I am VERY happy to read your tips! Thanks again! Keep up the GREAT work!

HotMommy said...

Julie - holy moly! In all the times I've contacted customer service no one has mentioned printing them online! I finally have the certificates I bought in October thanks to you! Thank you, thank you!

Unknown said...

I redeemed my first coupon last night at the Jury Room - it was great! No hangups. The server knew just what to do. Since we don't drink, our grand total came to $16 for a steak dinner and some shrimp & chicken thing! The place was fabulous too! What a great bargain!