Saturday, June 13, 2009

Dinner for (about) $2

So I'm not enough of a home economist to figure out what a meal costs to make down to the last bite. I guess I could, but honestly? I just don't want to. So I'll do my best guess.

Anyway, tonight's dinner was Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese and Salad (I substituted regular milk for the half & half).

Here's why it was (about) $2:

-I used Wacky Mac pasta- I got it for free using a Smart Source .75 printable coupon. This pasta was $1.25 a bag at Shaw's, and they doubled my coupon... so I guess it was better than free. It was -.25.

-I used a bag of Kraft shredded cheese from the freezer. I remember that after a sale/coupon combo, it was $1.50. So I guess that brings the total to $1.25.

-I bought a head of Romaine and a cucumber at Roxies for $1.59... I washed and cut it into a (basic) salad. We ate about 1/3 of it, and will use the rest for 2 more dinners this week. So I guess that was about .50 worth. My total is around $1.75 now.

-I'm going to guess that the bit of butter, dressing, flour, and milk that went into this recipe make up the last .25... maybe .50. We'll never really know.

But bottom line? My family ate for $2... and there's plenty of leftover mac & cheese for lunches this week.

2 comments:

Ms. Luzader said...

looks yum! and i love that it's a rachael ray recipe-- she's so cool!

Gayle said...

I don't know how I got over here, I think I was blog hopping but I've enjoyed reading about your family.

Doesn't it feel good when you figure out how frugal a yummy meal actually was? Great job!