I can't really pinpoint the moment I realized freezers had a higher purpose, but now, I work mine for all I can. As you can see by the picture, my freezer works hard. It's particularly stuffed now because there were some awesome sales this week. I freeze pretty much anything. Bread? Yup. Chopped veggies? Sure. Butter? Of course. I've never tried to freeze cream cheese before, but I'm giving it a go.
Using our freezer has really saved us a lot of money, and helped us avoid a whole lot of wasted food.
Oh- and those pizza rolls? Well... I got them for .33 a box. I know, they're terrible for us... but whatever. My kid likes them for a treat (and so do I).

8 comments:
I tried freezing cream cheese once - went to use it on bagels and it was nasty. I'm sure I did something wrong or if you bake with it it's fine. It was probably just something I did (defrosting it the wrong way or something??).
Let me know how the cream cheese is when you thaw it. I've done butter, cheese slices, even milk (gotta take a little out of the gallon first) but I was worried about cream cheese.
After Becky's warning, I just took all but one out- I'll make one the sacrificial experiment... I'll let you know!
I have frozen cream cheese before. It changes the consistency of it for spreads, but for baking it is fine. I let my thaw in the fridge a few days before I want to use it in a recipe.
We use our freezer to its full capacity and I have actually been looking for a used on on craigslist for a little while now.
I don't know if it would take up too much valuable space for you but I use plastic bins in my freezer to keep everything easily accessible. That is a nice big freezer you have!
Let it be known, just because of this post I am honestly leaving work and going home to eat Pizza Rolls.
Wow. If you'd like to store some of that in ours, let me know. Particularly the pizza rolls.
Did you get bags of frozen fruit on sale? That's one thing I never see on sale around here but I love to keep some around for smoothies and stuff.
The blueberries would be good for making baked oatmeal. ;)
Is this your bottom freezer or an additional freezer? Love the big size of the basket.
Post a Comment