I've been asked this several times lately.I'll let you decide.
Here's my experience with The Boston Globe.
(I think) Regular Newsstand Price for the Sunday Globe (where the coupons are) is $3.00.
In my area, the Globe offers an introductory home delivery rate of $1.75 for 12 weeks (Oh- and you can continue to get a discounted rate. Just call to cancel when the intro rate is over and they'll extend your rate. They're onto me now though, but I still get a deal- I think it's $2.75 a week).
So assuming the intro rate, $1.75 a week, you get all of the best coupons- In the Globe, the first week of the month, there are 3 bundles (Proctor & Gamble, Red Plum, and Smart Source). Most other weeks, there are 2 bundles (Red Plum and Smart Source). Sometimes, there are none (this is rare though- like between Christmas and New Years). I'm GUESSING here, but I think on average, I pull $$25-50 of coupons in a week. Will I use every one before it expires? No. BUT, do I get at least my $1.75 back? Oh heck yes.
In Boston, the Sunday paper is a fantastic investment. My parents live about 90 miles away and get their local Sunday paper, and let me tell ya, there is NOT an impressive haul of coupons. So, not all Sunday Papers are created equal. I think your best bet is to call them up, and ask how many coupons are included. OR, buy one at the newsstand to check.
SO bottom line- Is the Sunday Paper worth it? Depends on where you live. But some good research is ABSOLUTELY worth it. If you find your local paper doesn't cut it, consider a bigger city paper- even if you never read it, the coupons inside could be worth a subscription.

6 comments:
I've been a subscriber to the Boston Globe since 2005. So no more intro-rates for me!
I have it set up to automatically charge my credit card once a month. I get just Sunday. It's $13.28. So about $3.32 every Sunday. Cheap enough for me (and it's thrown right at my door!) Plus, they just sent me a $10 Dunkin Donuts gift card for no apparent reason this week. BEST INVESTMENT EVER!
Another thought...in my area (St. Louis) the Post-Dispatch costs 1.50 on Sundays, but can be found at the Dollar Tree dollar stores for 1.00. I subscribe to the paper and then go and buy addtionals when the coupons are extra good (like the 2.25 electrosols, baby!).
Becky- I bet if you call and say you need to cancel, they'll reduce your rate! But I agree- $3.32= AWESOME return!!
Colleen- Interesting about Dollar Tree- I will have to check that out!!
I can't wait for Sunday this week so I can start a'clippin!
I'm so proud of myself- I have a CVS baggie in my car now where I keep my coupons and extra bucks receipts. They don't do me any good sitting on my dining room table. It's amazing what suddenly having a mortgage does for your money awareness.
Thanks for all the awesome ideas!
xo, Maureen (from Stonehill)
I can't wait for Sunday this week so I can start a'clippin!
I'm so proud of myself- I have a CVS baggie in my car now where I keep my coupons and extra bucks receipts. They don't do me any good sitting on my dining room table. It's amazing what suddenly having a mortgage does for your money awareness.
Thanks for all the awesome ideas!
xo, Maureen (from Stonehill)
Here in Dallas, I like to get the $3 double edition on Sunday at the grocery store so that I get 2 sets of coupons. It's definitely cheaper than getting 2 at-home subscriptions at $1.73/week. It saves me $1.84/month not to subscribe.
Post a Comment